British society is witnessing a swift end to traditional family life; in fact Britain is a world-leader in terms of family breakdown:
- The UK has the highest level of lone parenting in Europe.
- 90% of couples live together before getting married.
- Nearly 50% of children in the UK are now born out of wedlock.
- In 2009, 95% of all births outside of wedlock were to teenagers.
- 48% of children will experience the trauma of seeing their parents divorce by age 16.
- Over 50% of cohabiting parents split up before their child’s 5th birthday.
- A child in a single-parent family is 75% more likely to struggle in school, 70% more likely to become addicted to drugs, 50% more likely to develop a drinking problem and 35% more likely to be unemployed.
- Family breakdown is linked to approximately 98% of the cases heard in the juvenile courts in the UK.
- Family breakdown is estimated to cost each British taxpayer around £1,364 ($2,200) per year.
Watch what the FamilyLife UK Directors say about the need.
If you feel led to partner with our ministry and assignment in the UK, please read more about how you can partner with us.